Monday, July 16, 2012

Gluten Free Teriyaki

Bet you didn't know teriyaki sauce ISN'T gluten free. I had NO IDEA and when I tried to find a GF option, I learned that it just doesn't exist! I was kinda pissed for a second. I knew pretty quick this wouldn't be hard to duplicate GF.... #1 thing is finding Tamari. It is pure soy sauce made just from soy. Regular soy sauce contains wheat along with the soy! I found Tamari at Uwajimaya which is my local Asian Supermarket that I love :-)

3/4 C Tamari
1 C Water
4 Tbsp Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp cornstarch


that's the basic, I added garlic powder. Another nice add in would be ginger :-) The Cornstarch isn't necessary either if you're using this as a marinade or dressing. I was going to cook this and spoon the sauce over rice so I wanted it a bit thicker, but you don't NEED it
I made this: GlutenFree Paradise Bowl

5 comments:

  1. Unless you're seriously allergic to gluten or have celiac, the amount of gluten in soy sauce isn't going to affect you, so what is the point? I have wheat allergy and still use regular kikkoman because tamari tastes gross to me...lol seems like a lot of unnecessary extra effort unless it really is a life/death, painful/painless dining choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. for me, when I first went GF, I didn't know that ALL these sauces I was still using had gluten and I was still having "issues". I thought, maybe gluten isn't my problem cuz I'm still having issues while I'm gluten free. Then I started REALLY reading labels and looking stuff up and found out I wasn't GF at all! I am now tho and I'm for reals feeling better. Tamari seems stronger or thicker to me than soy sauce, but I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes sense. I'm not sensitive to the gluten in other grains, so my issues aren't as pronounced I guess. But most sauces use gluten as a thickener or a flavor enhancer.

      I don't tend to buy premade sauces and I dislike most commercial sauces (teriyaki is something I never eat btw, but if you're going to make it "asian style", you can use a little orange juice concentrate or Mirin instead of brown sugar because it's supposed to have tartness and don't forget the ginger) so I don't have many 'hidden ingredient' issues in that department.

      If you feel better, then stick with homemade. Homemade is always better, eh? ;)

      Delete
  3. This looks amazing! I will have to make something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're always making such DELICIOUS-looking food! Please come to my house and cook for me. : ) I will give pedicures in exchange for meals. Ha!

    ReplyDelete