Thursday, October 18, 2012

Lentil Loaf

THANK YOU to Oh She Glows for another life changing recipe. The first was her 5 ingredient "cheese" sauce...... Just getting that link to her site I got stuck on her site for 30 min. I want to marry this girl!

Preheat Oven to 325°
1C Green Lentils
3C Water
3Tbsp Ground flax seeds
1/2C Water
1C Walnuts
1 Red onion
3 Cloves Garlic
1C Grated carrot
1C Fine chopped celery
1/3C Grated Apple
1/3C Currants
salt, pepper, oregano (or herb of your choice)
1C Oat Flour
3/4C Breadcrumbs


Step 1: Bring 1 Cup of green lentils to a boil in 3 cups of water (or broth). Reduce heat to med low so that its at a mellow boil. Cook for 45 min, stirring often, till the lentils are sort of breaking up. All the water should be absorbed, it should be a mush with some whole lentils along with lentil puree all blobbed together.

Step 2:Whisk together 3 Tbsp of ground flax seeds, and 1/2 Cup of water. Whisk this mixture every few minutes as you prepare all the other ingredients

Step 3: Chop up 1 cup of walnuts finely. Toast these in the oven for 15 min. Set aside. Raise the oven temp to 350°

Step 4: Remember to whisk your flax seeds. Finely chop a red onion, start sweating this in a sautee pan. Finely mince 3 cloves of garlic and add it to the pan. Grate 1 cup of carrot and add that to the pan, turn up the heat slightly so you hear a sizzle, but the veggies are just getting shiny, not browned. Finely chop one cup of celery and add it to the pan. Peel & grate 1/3 Cup of apple. By the time you add the apple, the mixture has cooked enough you can pull it from the heat. Add 1/3 Cup of Zante Currants, salt & pepper, some dried oregano if you like. Whisk flax seeds

Step 5: Toast 2 pieces of bread. I use gluten free. After toasting, allow bread to cool then pulse in a mini food processor until it is crumbs. Alternatively, you can use 3/4 cup of prepared bread crumbs.

Step 6: Measure 1 Cup of Oat Flour. I use Bobs Red Mill rolled oats processed in the blender to make flour. But they make flour, and you can choose a different brand if you like.

Step 7: Mix everything together in a big bowl. Spray or line an 8 X 8 pan (I used a bigger cake pan because I had doubled the recipe to have lots of leftovers), add the loaf mixture to the baking dish.

Bake for 45 min. It should be firm to touch when you poke it in the middle. Allow it to cool for at least 10 minutes. I like to top this with Trader Joes BBQ sauce & serve with Mashed potatoes (prepared with Earth Balance,  almond milk, garlic powder, oregano, salt, pepper) and green beans.


















 


Even better as leftovers!! I made a Loaf Sandwich the next day with pureed avocado as the spread and it was out of this world.


No comments:

Post a Comment